Waite Park Community Garden
COVID-19 Safety Guidelines
April 18, 2020
The Waite Park Community Garden cares deeply about the health and safety of our gardeners and our broader community. We are taking the threat of COVID-19 seriously and are adopting extra precautions that will allow us to keep the garden open during the Stay-at-Home order and throughout the weeks of social distancing that will follow.
We know that our garden is important for the health and safety of our families. We get both physical and mental benefits from our time spent growing our own food. To ensure that the garden can stay open during the pandemic and our gardeners stay safe, we ask that each gardener observe the following safety guidelines:
- Whenever possible, bring your own garden tools. While it’s unlikely that you’ll catch the virus that causes COVID-19 by touching a shared tool, it’s best to be cautious and use your own tools as much as possible. (More info on contact surfaces)
- If you must use shared tools, please take the following precautions:
- Wipe down equipment before and after use (please note: WPCG will have a bottle of cleaner and paper towels in the shed for cleaning. However, these items will not be regularly stocked, and once it’s gone, gardeners must supply their own cleaning supplies.)
- Wear work gloves when using equipment.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer after using the equipment.
- Make sure that when you’re in the garden, you maintain at least a 6 foot distance between you and other gardeners.
- All social events in the garden will be cancelled until further notice.
- Wear a cloth mask if you are working within 2 plots of another gardener.
- To ensure proper social distancing:
- No more than 20 gardeners can be in the garden at once (10 on the west side of the garden and 10 on the east side of the garden).
- During work days, ONLY work day participants will be allowed in the garden.
- One gardener is allowed in the shed at a time.
- The steering committee is still working on scheduling work days safely for gardeners; we will update you as soon as possible.
- In keeping with CDC recommendations that everyone should wear a cloth face mask in public to limit the spread of disease, we ask that you wear a cloth face mask if you are working within 2 plots of another gardener. We understand that not everyone can tolerate wearing a mask, especially in the warmer weather.
- If you’re sick, please stay home. If you need assistance with watering your plot, please contact the WPCG email and let us know. We are happy to send out an email on your behalf to ask for help with watering while you recover.
We know that the pandemic is creating hardships for all of our families. To help our community, the Waite Park Community Garden will be donating our excess produce to the Little Kitchen Food Shelf in NE Minneapolis. To learn more about how you can help with harvesting or delivering food to the Little Kitchen Food Shelf, please contact us.